14 January 2010

RE #1: “In Vietnam, Teenage Daughters Sold Into Sex Slavery “

original.article [x]

I used to think that the worst thing that could happen to me right now would be my laptop crashing or getting a root canal (since I hate the sound of drills and the taste of flouride). After reading the Boudreau article, I realized that my fears are absolutely nothing compared to those Vietnamese families – people who face the problems of extreme poverty, sex slavery, and no government help everyday. A typical day for me would consist of getting 3 meals a day (either mom's cooking or eating at a restaurant) and enjoying various forms of entertainment such as a movie or shopping - so I'm guessing that would total to at least $20, not to mention bills for all the basics (electricity, gas for the car, etc). I could not possibly imagine what it is like to survive on $1 a day, for an entire family. What kind of food could one get for that amount of money? How could they have possibly landed in that kind of situation? Random note: And since those families survive on so little, how was it possible that one of the kidnapped teenagers and her family could afford a cell phone and an accompanying service plan?

A few things I’d like to comment on about this article…

It was noted that the Vietnamese families were tricked by a “motherly woman and kind gentlemen”. The fact that those people took on that façade greatly disturbs me. A mother and kind gentlemen are role models in any society, and they willingly exploited these figures, using their positive connotation and how those figures emanate feelings of kindness and safety for horrible motives.

After the kidnapped teenagers were blessed with the opportunity to return home, the article ends by proposing an imaginary situation where she would be stuck in Cambodia's sex slavery game:

Seventeen-year-old Truong, who lives in a cramped thatched home elevated over water with nine family members, said she has not given much consideration to what would have happened to her had she ended up in Cambodia. "I don't think about that," she said passively. "If it had happened, it would have been because it was my destiny. That's the life."
The teenager responds to the situation with passivity, and this bothered me. As someone who has been brought up in the American culture, one that stresses the values of self worth, independence, free will, and choice, I would have approached that “imaginary” situation with anger at the government for not taking action or something proactive, instead of just saying “it would have been my fate”. Don’t get me wrong: I do not intend to offend Vietnamese or Asian cultures in any way for their values of humility or perspective on one’s destiny. It’s just such a different way of thinking, and it's sad that anyone would think that being sold and used like an object can be excused as a proper "destiny".

I find it hard to think of a solution to this dire situation. Off the top of my head, I’m thinking of much more patrolling and police/government watch, which is an obvious answer. The multiple rehab centers are such a great idea and provide a much needed service. I touched upon this subject in high school but it was never stressed or stuck out in my mind until now, so I definitely think awareness of this problem is something that could be improved.

Overall, just the fact they have to live in fear everyday, living off a dollar a day, is something that no human being should have to experience. And it is unthinkable that some of the families were willing to sell their daughters.

As I sit here in my single dorm room, dressed in warm clothes, typing on my personal laptop while my TV is playing on the side, and even the fact that my family is able to afford my college education, I realize that at every second of the day, I am immersed in luxuries, things that those families can never fathom owning or even seeing. If I were to take only one thing from this article, it would be the realization that I really shouldn’t take anything for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment